Sunday, November 19, 2006

Murphy's Law by Lori Foster

Hello, Fellow Readers!!!!!! Hope all your reading has been happy lately (I know mine has) and you are getting some good recommendations from Dee and myself. Things have been incredibly nuts lately for us here at Dee&Dee Dish, so I apologize if it has been too far between reviews. I've already got 2 more books after this to review and several more for next week. Should be fun!!!

Before I start today's review, I need to make a few proclamations. Proclamation #1 - Serena Robar and Gena Showalter are pretty (understatement. check out those pics) proclamation #2 - Mary Janice Davidson and Anthony Alongi are the cutest married couple ever to pen prose. Proclamation #3 - All of the above authors have graciously donated signed books for this months contest (details to follow by the end of the week). I'm so pumped about this, I cannot mention it enough!!! Okay, on with the review.

Murphy's Law by Lori Foster
(Back Cover Copy)

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG........ Nothing is going to go wrong. Ashley Miles has worked too hard for her independence to let some Bentley-driving hunk named Quinton Murphy interfere with her plans - or her freedom. Yes, the chemistry is phenomenal. Kind of scary, actually. But that's it. NO emotional commitment.

.......WILL But he's so wonderful - a woman could fall in love... How did that happen? That wasn't part of the plan! Bust can she trust him? Really trust him? Them an is just so mysterious. There's only one solution: put it all on the line and see what Quinton does when she tells him how she feels. And hope everything that can go wrong...won't...

By far, the absolutely worst BCC I have ever read. Not because of the job it does describing the content of the book (the person that wrote that seems to have possibly read the book) but because of the way they chose to word it. This is not a YA novel (which I am quite fond of, this months contest shows that) but the wording of this BCC seems like it would be more at home on a teenage style book rather than a woman's Romance novel. I do not envy BCC writers their job. It must be very hard trying to summarize a novel in such a short amount of words and make it seem readable. Plus, they have to deal with people like me, who constantly find their attempts lacking. Does not sound like my idea of a fun way to earn a living.

Before I continue talking about the book, let me say, that in all honesty I cannot say this review will not be another FGSF , but I cannot, in all honesty say, that it will be. You see, normally for me to put a book or author in the FGSF category, I have to have read more than two of their books, and I have only read one other of Foster's books. BUT, I loved it very much, and bought this book the day it was released, so maybe I could call this a mini-FGSF.

I was first introduced to Foster's work with her book Jude's Law , which is also where I was introduced to the characters of this book - Ashley Miles and Quinton Murphy. I enjoyed Jude's Law immensely, and it left me wanting to know more about Ashley and her HEA. Thank goodness Foster had exactly that in mind.

Ashley Miles is the type of woman I admire and the type of woman I would love to have as my friend. Raised in a home where her parents were selfish and negligent, Ashley found friendship in the form of May, her best friend and, in her view, savior of her self worth. Ashley fought against serious odds to become an independent woman, one who takes care of herself and values that very much. She works hard to have what little she does. Working three jobs, Ashley also finds time to go to school and keep her eyes firmly planted on the prize. The prize being money in the bank, a job she loves, and a home she can call her own. Ashley has no desire to find a man, because a man could be very dangerous to her fulfilling her dreams.

But then comes along Quinton Murphy. The exact opposite of Ashley, he was raised by parents that loved him, doted on him, and when they died, left him very well off. Quinton is the CEO of his own company, who's office just happens to be in a building Ashley cleans as one of her jobs. Quiton is stricken with an unfamiliar feeling when he meets Ashley and he wants very much to get to know her better. But Ashley keeps her distance, she knows just how destructive a man could be.

When an old enemy resurfaces, Ashley finds herself in danger and, for once in her life, she finds she has more than May to rely on. Quinton is there, and wants to make sure she is safe. Somewhere along the way, Ashley and Quiton fall in love.

This book, was just what I needed. I was in need of a fast and FUN read and Foster delivered. Although I mention danger, and they do incorporate it, it plays a very minor role in this book. Murphy's Law is definitely more character driven than plot (and those characters did some very predictable Romance book plot things), but it is just what the Doctor ordered to calm my nerves.

If you find yourself wanting to read an entertaining book that will make you smile and warm your heart, Murphy's Law is the book for you. I recommend reading Jude's Law first, though not necessary it will be helpful. Plus, both books are a great way to spend some quality reading time.

Take Care


No comments: