Thursday, February 22, 2007

SUCCUBUS BLUES - JUST SOME OF THE REASON'S IT'S FAB

I've mentioned before that when I read a book I know I'll be reviewing that I like to have pen and paper handy so I can make note of certain quotes or passages that stand out, that way I can reference them during the review. Well, SUCCUBUS BLUES was no different, I sat down to read it, had my pen and paper next to me, and promptly forgot all about them. You see, THAT my dear lovelies, is the NUMBER ONE reason, SB and Richelle are my FAB pick for this month. I was hooked from the opening line, "Statistics show that most mortals sell their souls for five reasons: sex, money, power, revenge, and love. In that order." And now that I have you wanting to read more, I'll point you here for an excerpt.

You see, I love a book that grabs hold of my attention and imagination and simply refuses to let go. SUCCUBUS did that for me on my first read through, so I figured I'd read it one more time, you know, 'cause I needed to make notes for the review (yeah, that's the only reason I read it a second time) and guess what? Upon finishing my second read through, I had exactly 5 notes made, and they only covered the first 3 Chapters. OOPS! Some one forgot she was supposed to be acting like a book blogger! I got sucked up again and totally lost track of myself. Reader at heart, remember? I've read it a third time now, and probably will have to read it again, you know, just to keep it fresh in my mind for this week (I'm even rolling my eyes at myself for that one ).

I think Cody (Georgina's young vamp friend) says it best, "Just wait until you've been in Georgina's capable hands. You'll never be the same." Because trust me, once you read this book, you will never look at the Paranormal/Fantasy genre the same way. Richelle's voice is so very unique and refreshing, that even if you've never much cared for this genre, you'll be rushing out to find just what you've been missing.

And I should probably mention here, this isn't my review of the book, I'm not going to post that until closer to the end of my FAB week, probably Monday, this is just what the title says, some of the reasons I picked SUCCUBUS BLUES and Richelle for my FAB this month.

So, I've told you I LOVE the book, I mean, where else can you find a book that has a middle-management demon that walks the Earth looking like John Cusack? Because think about it, Cusack clearly sold his soul to get the starring role in TWO of my most favorite movies! (Guess the two correctly and I'll give away a prize when I wrap up FAB week.)

But don't get me wrong, SB isn't all quirky humor, there are many facets of SUCCUBUS, it truly is a perfect mix of humor, romance, mystery, and paranormal. There are deeper/darker moments, thinking moments, suspenseful moments, and all of it meshed together with Mead's sharp wit and humor.

Plus, Georgina loves BOOKS and COFFEE! We're kindred spirits! So, don't forget to enter this weeks contest, and leave us a comment letting us know where you posted, and I'll make sure it gets put in the sidebar.

Take Care

10 comments:

dee said...

Hmmm, YOUR two fave Cusack movies? NO IDEA! I know that MINE are "Say anything" and "Serendipity". But "Better off dead" bumps them really close.
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

(Sorry, have NO idea where THAT came from!) lol

dee said...

Oh, and now - GRET wants to read this book too!

Chari-Dee said...

Sorry baby-girl, I'm vetoing that idea. Well, at least until your mom reads it, but I'm still thinking you can read this when you read your first Crusie :)

reviewer said...

Ohhh, I pre ordered this book, but it's not yet arrived.
I'm really looking forward to it.

Chari-Dee said...

Chantal, it is a wonderful book, I absolutely LOVED it! Okay, that's probably redundant since I've picked it for my FAB, huh? As soon as you've read it, you have got to let me know what you think!

Unknown said...

This book looks so good! It seems like a really original concept as well.

Hmm, I would guess that your two favorite Cusack movies are Say Anything and High Fidelity.

Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

Serendipity, I watched it tonight and got it. And High Fidelity

dee said...

Oh, you guys are pretty good, but I'm gonna tell you that if you're among the camp choosing Serendipity and High Fidelity as Dee's two faves, you're only half right...
I'll let you figure out which one is right, and which one is...left. :)

Deb R said...

I'm going to guess Serendipity and Grosse Point Blank.

Deb R said...

Ok, I just saw that no one has gotten it yet, so I had to come back for another guess. How about Serendipity and Being John Malkovich?